A Message from our President, Heather Boye
Well, Hello Spring!
It has been great to see so many of our members out and about this year! Thanks to everyone who joined us for our 2023 Kick-of Mixer at Negociant Winery, the 43rd Annual Gold Key Awards at Sheraton Hotel Harbor Island, the Spring Fling Networking Event at Eppig Brewing Biergarten in Point Loma, and at the SDTA Hospitality Open at Sycuan! I would like to give a personal thanks to our members at Expedia for allowing this shark infested moment to take place between me and fellow HSMAI Board Member, Ann Manning!
Another big thanks to Evan Holmes from Amadeus for providing us with our quarterly San Diego Hospitality Market Reports. With the climate of the hospitality industry changing so rapidly, these programs offer a more frequent look at where we’ve been and where we’re going. If you missed the January or April reports, be sure to register for the next update in early July. These digital lunch-and-learn programs provide a 30-minute look at the local market trends and are offered free to all members!
Now that Spring has sprung, we are looking forward to even more great opportunities to see all your smiling faces live and in person. Upcoming programs include this week’s Networking Mixer at Knotty Barrel in East Village (April 25th), a May educational presentation from Medallia featuring a look at Digital Engagement and the Customer Life Cycle to be held at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, and more networking at Punch Bowl Social in June.
Please be sure to follow us on LinkedIn and Facebook to keep up on upcoming events and highlights
President, San Diego Chapter
Hospitality Sales & Marketing Association International
🎤 OUR NEXT EVENTS
April Happy Hour
Tuesday, April 25th (TODAY)
Knotty Barrel East Village
844 Market Street
San Diego, CA
Let's get together for some games, fun and networking!
Member Complimentary | Non-Member $10 | Students/Faculty $5
HSMAI Commercial Strategy Week 2023
June 26-29, 2023
Mark your calendars for HSMAI Commercial Strategy Week 2023: June 26-29, Toronto, Canada! HSMAI Commercial Strategy Week reflects the convergence of marketing, revenue optimization, and other commercial functions into new and evolving commercial strategy organizations inside many hotel companies.
Commercial Strategy Week events will help you ACCELERATE RECOVERY, and anticipate and respond to headwinds, identify new opportunities, better align your sales, marketing, and revenue optimization efforts, adapt to the ever-changing landscape, and drive profit throughout the customer journey.
HSMAI Sales Leader Forum
November 8, 2023
Long Beach, CA, USA
Kelly Bridwell | KSL Resorts
Eileen Chang CRME, CHDM | Hyatt Hotels
Diane Damra | Sojern
Dena Escobedo | Cendyn
Nick Grage | Sojern
Sarah Newcomer | Sheraton San Diego
Joy Peacock Jones CMP | San Diego Convention Center
Nick Price | Hopper
Stephanie Singleton | Carte Hotel
Sheryl Vanga | Aimbridge/Carte Hotel
Michael Bennett | Cendyn
Heather Boye CHBA | Flagship Cruises & Events
Dana Cariss CHDM | CoralTree Hospitality
Denise Chapman | Hotel Del Coronado
Jessica Garcia | L'Auberge de Sedona
Kristie Goshow | KSL Resorts
Angie Hughes | Bartell Hotels
Darlene Larson | San Diego Zoo & Safari Park
Keriann Martin CHDM | Hotel del Coronado
Chelsey Ong CRME | Estancia La Jolla
Guy Szalkowski | Booking.com
Kris Umstattd | Loews Hotels & Co.
Deneda Young-Carrick | Loews Hotels
Burnout is most common among high achievers and is often related to being short-staffed and high turnover, both prevalent in the current climate. Over the last year, burnout has been a recurring topic for the Rising Sales Leader Council as we’ve brainstormed ways to prevent burnout in ourselves and our teams.
Holly Zoba, Principal, Scout Simply, provides insight into how schema is the key to describing a hotel for search engines: excerpted from HSMAI’s Hotel Digital Marketing Essentials + self-paced course.
2023 will be another year of increased tech adoption, as hotels continue to look for ways to drive efficiency, boost profitability and adapt to the challenges of the year ahead.
HSMAI Member Benefits
In order to keep your business bustling, you need to form the right partnerships. You need to develop the right contacts to gain an edge. You need to walk away from an industry meeting with truly fresh ideas. You need to meet people who will enhance your business and your career. You need HSMAI. HSMAI provides the resources, knowledge and networks you need to make a critical connection with your customers.
Additional Member Resources
Membership in HSMAI brings access to tools and insights, industry discipline-specific education and a competitive edge. Among the tools that will keep you connected:
- Access to HSMAI conference session videos: Recorded session videos from recent HSMAI Conferences are available for industry knowledge and best practice learning.
- Sales, Marketing, Revenue Optimization Insights: HSMAI creates and curates content from the thought leaders in hospitality sales, marketing, and revenue optimization around the world.
- Talent and Leadership Development Insights: Key lessons you can take back to your team to ensure you are attracting, developing, and engaging the best talent now and in the future.
- Interview Prep Resources: These insights and interview prep questions will help you see how your current skills can fit into a new role in hospitality.
- Scholarships and Grants: The HSMAI Foundation supports industry professionals and students through a series of grant and scholarship programs.
- Recommended Reading: Leaders in Hospitality Sales, Marketing and Revenue Management are sharing their favorite industry books, periodicals and blogs.
- HSMAI Academy - Explore our webinars, publications and online learning in your HSMAI Academy
Gathering knowledge is an ongoing process, and it is necessary for success. Further your knowledge of the industry with these HSMAI member tools:
- Local Chapter Educational Events. See Upcoming Chapter Events
- CRME, CHBA and CHDM Certification
You need to know the right people and HSMAI is your connection to the industry. Meet with industry insiders through these networking opportunities:
- Local Chapter Networking Events
- Adrian Awards Competition Dinner & Reception
- Peer Network: Local, national and international contacts